How to create a Google Account with any email address (including Office 365!)
While we have been amazing blessed by Google’s NonProfits offering, we understand that many of our partners use other email providers for their work email accounts.
We use a lot of Google’s services across our projects, from Firebase to Google Analytics, Google Drive to Google Cloud Platform, and rather than adding a partner’s personal Gmail account to the project so that they can access the services, we’ve found a useful way of creating a Google Service account with any email address.
This then allows a user to access any of the Google services we are using for their project, even if they don’t have a Google Workspace-based email address.
(Note: Google accounts created using this method can’t access Gmail. As such, the recipe below is safe for use and will not interfere with email delivery or sending.
- Using a new Incognito/Private window, visit google.co.uk
- Once the page loads, click the blue ‘Sign In’ button in the top right corner of your screen
- A Google authentication screen will load. Click ‘Create account’ and select ‘For myself’ on the dropdown that will show
- A new page will load.
- Start filling the First name and Last name fields
- Instead of entering a username to create a new Gmail account, click ‘Use my current email address instead’
- Type in the email address you wish to use
- Use your password manager to generate a new secure password and paste it into both password fields
- Click ‘Next’
- A verification code will be sent to the email address you entered in the step above
- Enter this code back into the field in your web browser
- You may be asked to add a mobile phone number, date of birth and gender to the account, although these are sometimes optional
This new Google account can then be used to access Google Analytics, Google Drive, Firebase or any of the other tools we might be using for a project.